Monday, May 07, 2007

Super Studs of the Seventies.

Can anyone tell me what movie this guy is from?
This is one of the many hair transplant ads found in the 70's Newsday TV Books I collect. Flipping through these books, one would think that Long Island was in the grip of a male pattern baldness epidemic. It's much more likely that thousands of schlubby Island fellas like this one just felt left out of the groovy free-love-n'-mucho-drugs loop, and figured a cheesy "hair system" was their ticket in.

I just can't shake the feeling that I've seen this guy in some low-budget flick of the era, something along the lines of Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (but not that). And no, I'm not confusing him with Richard S. Castellano.

I wish I could have found the pic of Castellano that was run with his obituary in 1988. It was a close-up of his meaty mug, mouth agape mid-bellow, showcasing the furious gap in his teeth. I swear he was able to flare that gap like others do their nostrils. It almost seemed disrespectful to use the picture alongside his death notice, eliciting involuntary giggles as it did. The shot above, promoting his 1972 series The Super, was taken shortly after he became known through his role as Clemenza in The Godfather. My God, his funnel-shaped pants are a thing to behold--though they barely be holdin' his mighty grotch.

I was astounded to learn that Castellano was about 37 when he filmed that movie, younger than I am now. While it is strange to measure oneself against some guy who died twenty years ago, I must admit that, looking at this picture, I feel somewhat better about myself. And looking back at that first pic, the gruesome bald guy in the appalling shirt, well jeez, I'm Jack Lord compared to him!

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian Kunath said...

He looks a little like Paul A. Partain.

http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/hysterialives/graphicsk/partain1.jpg

Mon May 07, 11:45:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Brian Kunath said...

Shit. Let's break it up.

http://www.hysteria-lives.co.uk/hysterialives
/graphicsk/partain1.jpg

Mon May 07, 11:47:00 PM 2007  
Blogger psaur said...

Nah, I know that Partain guy.

This guy's face is so familiar, especially the bulgy, dark-circled eyes... Maybe The Groove Tube or something like that, but definitely something very low budget, grainy, poorly-lit... I've seen so many 70's trailers (Something Weird Video, USA's Reel Wild Cinema) that it may very well be some movie I've never actually seen.

Tue May 08, 12:00:00 AM 2007  
Blogger JGerardi said...

I have spent far too much time trying to figure out what the fuck your profile picture actually is to focus on that long forgotten actor. As best I can tell, it is a self taken photo of you with a cigarette laying down and a grain silo in the background over your head.

Tue May 08, 02:15:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home