Saturday, May 05, 2007

Finger-lickin' Ducky!

I just remembered that today is Cinco de Mayo, whatever that means. (I prefer Miracle Whip anyway.) I also just remembered that I have two leftover Taco Bell soft tacos in the fridge. Fiesta!

Today was the Kentucky Derby. I just read on Google News who won and have already forgotten because I don't care, but I do remember that the winning horse was the first juvenile champ since Spectacular Bid in 1979. (If it relates to the 70's in any way, that I'll remember.) So I looked up the TV Guide from 1979, and it turns out that May 5th also fell on a Saturday then--indeed, that was the day Spectacular Bid won.

Checking out the Guide, I found that if you were a New York City stoner of the era, that night you'd be forced to make the late-night viewing choice between Carrie Fisher hosting SNL (Leia in a bikini, pre-Jedi!) or McCabe and Mrs. Miller on WABC. In other words, I couldn't find anything remotely interesting in that TV Guide, although, at 7:30 pm, I do like the dichotomy of the "Girl Scout Talent Spectacular" on channel 8 against Dance Fever, with the Village People presenting "Hot Cop." And when I say "presenting," I mean in the zoological sense.

I then went to an anagram site and found that "Kentucky Derby" produces any number of uninspiring permutations. Noticing (and mentally punctuating) "Be ducky, Ken--try!" made me think of this Newsday TV Book cover from July 1972:
This cover heralds the premiere of the limited-run summer series "The Ken Berry Wow Show." Although he's duckily dressed, Ken's weary expression doesn't exactly say 'wow' to me--indeed, the anagram could be what the photographer was urging the comedic hoofer, to no avail. Much wowier is an uncredited twenty-one-year-old Cheryl Ladd on the right. Check her out some 33 years later here. Hey, Kunath, is she a GILF or what?

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Kunath said...

I'd "Sinko me guy-dough" in her -- and Leia like there's not tomorra!

Sun May 06, 12:59:00 PM 2007  
Blogger MO'SH said...

Isn't she like our age?

Mon May 07, 12:43:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home