Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm Not So Goddamn Hot on Thursdays, Either.

Okay, I'm having a better day today. Thanks for asking.

I don't have a regular Monday to Friday, nine to five-type job, which I guess explains why I have nothing against any particular day, the way others hate Mondays and anticipate Fridays. I think of this because I was watching the Bill Kurtis special about the Virginia Tech killing spree, which dealt quite a bit with past school shootings. At one point, Kurtis refers to this type of crime as a "boys only" trend or something like that. I had heard this a number of times in the reportage of this massacre, and each time thought of Brenda Ann Spencer.


She was the 16-year-old girl who, in January 1979, used her Christmas-present rifle to calmly shoot at an elementary school across the street from her house, wounding eight students and killing the principal and a custodian. As the Zodiac killer once claimed he would someday do, she picked off the kiddies as they came bouncing off the bus. When caught, she said she did it because she didn't like Mondays, though she would later blame her bad day on PCP-laced pot and years of sexual abuse at the hands of her father. Read more about her at her Wikipedia page, which has links to a Snopes page and, of course, the lyrics to the Boomtown Rats hit "I Don't Like Mondays."

Maybe Spencer doesn't get mentioned as a pioneer of this notorious murderer's row because it wasn't her own school she pegged. In any case, it seems like an oversight to me. While I'm at it, here's a link to a site that auctions off killer-related items. I haven't been there, but Nancy Grace was all in a tizzy over it last night. That's reason enough to endorse it.

1 Comments:

Blogger MO'SH said...

A neatly signed envelope from Leslie Van Houten is going for 55!

Fri May 11, 04:30:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home