Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Newsday TV Book, August 13-19, 1972.

August 2022 UPDATE!
[Well, I added more schedule scans, anyway. I don't know if you can call adding a few pics to an old post about a fifty-year-old TV Book an "update," exactly. Let's call it a revision, although that doesn't look as good in bold red type.]
REVISION!
[See, not so much. Anyway, so now you've got all of Friday and Saturday. And I made the rest of the pics bigger. And rewrote a little bit, in an effort to make it funnier. Uh-huh.]

On this week's cover, Flip Wilson begins the controversial "tradition" of black comedians camping it up in drag. I can't think of anyone who did it earlier, anyway, and a cursory search turned up nothing, so I'm going with it. Feel free to enlighten me if I'm wrong. (Was there an episode of Amos and Andy where a cousin "Amosina" was introduced?)
A staffer from The Flip Wilson Show, Kathi Fearn Banks, offers this interesting article. The jivin' is over. (Remember to click on the pics to enlarge them.)
Carol Burton offers a little joke at her own expense when a reader asks to see her photo, but blows the gag by forgetting to add the captions. Otherwise, Long Islanders wonder about The Little Rascals, Don Grady and Cliff Arquette's health (answer: he'll last about two more years).
I bet "Mr. Jay" can learn to live with a microwave oven--he's probably got the munchies!




Friday night brings Orson Welles sharing an anecdote about Churchill with Dick Cavett, and Love American Style gives birth to Happy Days. Must-See TV, seventies-style.

Saturday night gave us an hour-long version of "The Seven Little Foys" on Comedy Theater, which I think originally aired in January 1964. Check out the Comedy Showcase at ten, aka pilots for shows that would never take off, including one with Bill Fiore (trust me, you'd recognize him).
 
Back to school? Ah, crap! I guess that means we're heading to Lobel's for Buster Browns. Where I live now, kids are back in the classroom today, August 17th. In the 70's, if we had been forced back to St. Pius before Labor Day, I'm pretty sure we'da burned the joint down.
The back cover is a bore again, so here's the crossword puzzle (or "Crosswords") instead. Good luck with the even-back-then-fairly-obscure TV actors and titles, though you'd better know who that guy in the middle is. A guy, by the way, who was forty-five at the time of this puzzle (and had a heart attack when he was a year older than I am now). I tell ya, the combo of a walrus mustache and Mamie Eisenhower bangs really ages a fella!

3 Comments:

Blogger The O'Shaughnessys said...

I wanna see that riotous account of Felix's prissyness.

Wed Aug 17, 12:19:00 PM 2016  
Blogger psaur said...

It involved a longshoreman and a glory hole at a bar on Christopher Street. It was hilarious!

Wed Aug 17, 02:48:00 PM 2016  
Blogger psaur said...

Actually, it involved Felix buying his son Leonard "The Baron" at Lobel's...

Wed Aug 17, 10:59:00 PM 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home