Monday, January 19, 2009

It Feels Like 1974, part 2: The Stench of Rotting Minds.

Monday from the January 20-26 1974 Newsday TV Book (click pic to embiggen).
Friends is on WNEW (Metromedia channel 5) at 6:25 in the morning? Even 35 years ago you couldn't get away from that friggin' show! Today's ep: "The One Where Chandler Streaks." I love that channel 67's nooner The Nassau/Suffolk Woman (hosted by the redoubtable Oren Palenik) is immediately followed by a discussion show called Mantrap. Saves me from coming up with a joke. Later they have Captain Ahab, who was a kiddie-show host I hope to write about some day this week...
I would love to see Hodgepodge Lodge again. Maybe I'll check YouTube. My only memory is of a serene, plain-looking woman in the woods with turtles. (You can see why I'm eager to find it.) Newsday writer John Cashman zings Burt Reynolds with his review of Skulduggery, on ABC at nine.
More meat! I think that grateful budget ledger may be related to Milton the Toaster.
Some good Cashman reviews on this page, plus a Gary Viskupic drawing (though not a very interesting one). I've been preparing a retrospective of Viskupic's Newsday artwork, as it's often quite demented. I can personally attest that some of the stuff he produced for the TV Book was high-octane nightmare fuel. He's done a lot of sci-fi paperback covers. Keep an eye out for that post (without holding your breath, of course).
Keep an eye out for Tuesday's listings, too! (Not you, Sandy Duncan!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great. I've been wondering about these Newsday TV guides lately, particularly the art work that used to scare the crap out of me as a kid in 70's.

I spent a lot of time awake in my bed just because I happened across one of those weird sketches that would accompany a Monday night TV movie. Thanks Gary Viskupic!

Tony (from Long Island)

Tue Jun 16, 09:25:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home