Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Current Thoughts and Wishes.

I meant to post something for Memorial Day, but obviously neglected to. I was going to mention that Ancestry.com has a limited-time deal where you can look up old military records for free. It usually costs a subscription fee, but I think you can still do it just for registering, until June 6th or so. It's worth a look...

Anyway, speaking of memorializing, I've been thinking about mom a lot lately. Not a day goes by without it occurring to me to call her, or I think of something I want to ask her, or tell her. Of course then I realize it's too late. But it may not be too late for you and someone you love, and so I am going to publish something I didn't think I would.

This is the note that my sisters found among mom's things. It is neatly typed, and signed simply "mom." I haven't asked my siblings if they mind me putting it onto my dumb blog, but I can't imagine any of them objecting.

Mom wrote this seven or eight years before she died. I'm glad she was able to come to my and Donna's wedding after she wrote this. Donna and her family loved her, and I feel certain that mom had a good time at our somewhat unconventional ceremony. Sometimes I think Donna is having a harder time with her death than I am.



MY FINAL THOUGHTS AND WISHES......

This letter is for all of you, for all of you have been my greatest accomplishment in life. I always considered myself pretty lucky to raise seven children and I'm proud to say that you were all "good kids."

I hope you all know that each one of you was special to me, even tho I never seemed to say "I love you"...

Sometimes I think I was selfish moving here as I will probably leave you with all my burdens like selling the house and getting rid of all the junk I've accumulated. Just take the things you want and give the rest to charity. Mainly tho, I DO NOT want a funeral - I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered over Dad's grave or the waters of Sunset Beach [North Carolina]. If there be time to donate my heart, liver or kidneys, I'd like you to do that too...

Now that I'm seventy years old and seen how quickly the years go by, I've finally realized that the best of times were the times we had together.

Your families are your treasures of life - always remember to love one another, be kind, hold your tongue and temper - words said in anger can be like a stab wound that leaves a scar forever.

Today, I have no riches or wealth to leave to you, only these final words - the best things in life really are free. Just to have a partner to love, little things like kisses and holding hands and laughing together, sharing a warm bed and children to bring you joy. Now that I look back at my life, I think - I had all that, didn't I? Yes, and I thank God every night for all of you.

My love be with you always,
Mom




Because dad is buried in a military cemetery, Mom thought that she couldn't be buried with him as she had remarried. This turned out not to be true. Mom's ashes will be interred with my father this month.

If you haven't told someone you love that you love them, go ahead and do it right now.


2 Comments:

Blogger MO'SH said...

Very beautiful. I can hear your mother's voice with each word of the note. Thank you, brother, for sharing this. Oh, and (ahem) I love you.

Wed May 30, 05:59:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Morsel said...

She sounded really special! Love, RM

Sat Jun 09, 01:47:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home