Sunday, May 01, 2022

Newsday TV Book, May 5-11, 1974.

To rectify an omission I recently noticed, I'll be posting about the May 1974 issues of the TV Books in my collection. Unfortunately, I'm missing May 12-18, but here is the first of the ones I have, the cover of which features Peter Sellers and Glen Campbell in Scottish drag. The story, by Bill Kaufman, tells of Glen's squirthood.


The TV Line tells us all about Jimmy J.J., Mary Helen McPhillips, Columbo's coat and Squares' sweatshirts--and more!

A bit of Sunday, mainly for Bud and Lou and the B-Boys (on channels 11 and 5, respectively), but there's also a Mother's Day ad from Carle Place's "Japanese department store," Takashimaya. It opened almost exactly one year earlier.

Sunday's late schedule offers a Gary Viskupic illustration of handy Gert Frobe as Goldfinger.
There are some interesting bits in this Tuesday afternoon sched, but I mostly include it for the ads promoting Long Island food purveyors. Laurette Pastry's (not Laurette's Pastries?) was not a huge TV Book advertiser to my recollection, but Antoni Ravioli bought space for years. And they're still there, in Massapequa! Wit the same fo-numba!

Friday night finds Viskupic in a WWII theme, one of his specialties.

Finally, Saturday's late night provides a spate of John Cashman reviews, totally worth a movie lover's time.
The TV Book crossword puzzle always had a photo of some performer at the center, their name to be entered into the grid's top line. The solution in the following week's issue, however, always included a tiny sketch of the photo in place of the photo. I noticed this long ago, of course, but it only just occurred to me: who drew these?

Next time: William Conrad smoking a pipe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home