Monday, February 17, 2020

No Class!

That would be me, this week when I was a kid. Classless, because according to my Star Wars calendar of 1980, there was no school for the week that included Presidents' Day.
As you can see from my scrawled notations, the 18th began a late winter break. You'll also find: 
That I was (and admittedly still am) troubled by the spelling of "Olympics";
That I was unhappy--and showed it with emojis!--about various reports being due (and it's especially funny to see that I was being vexed by the Amish long before moving to Ohio);
And that the precise date of the Science Fair was not overly concerning. Seriously, Bob Newhart didn't phone it in as much as I did.
There was probably snow on the ground, which meant I was running around outside with a drippy red nose, but I can guarantee I made it back to the TV den for the 4:30 Movie on channel 7--it was Planet of the Apes Week! A mug of hot chocolate with Dr. Zaius? Now that's a good day!

"Mama! Mama! Maaaaaaaah-maaaaaah!!!" (That's the baby chimp. Everyone I knew imitated it.)

For the hell of it, I looked back to the earlier Star Wars calendar I have, from 1978. Since the Kenner toys were somehow not ready by Christmas '77, this and the "Early Bird Kit" were the big-ticket SW items that season. I didn't write in whether school was out or not, but here's the month, the cover, the centerfold, and the chessboard photo that I once watched move while I was sick in bed with a fever. (That pic actually goes with June, not February, in case you're particular about that sort of thing.)
Today's date (Monday, February 17th, 2020) correlates with 1975. I presumably would have had the day off from kindergarten, and here are the morning and afternoon listings of that day's Newsday TV Book to show what I was possibly viewing:
(It says February 16 because that Sunday's date is on every page.)
Definitely tuned in Magic Garden, Brady Bunch, and I was a Graham Kerr fan going way back.
To further give an idea of the era, here's the cover of that TV Book...
And the back cover, where The Colonial Shoppes were peddling a decor scheme I call "Ye Olde Long Island Graceland."

I'm going to abruptly end it here, as I don't have an ending, or even a point, really. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home