Monday, November 25, 2019

Newsday TV Book, November 24-30, 1974 (Thanksgiving Week).

Oh boy! It's here at last, a late Thanksgiving to herald a rapidly-approaching Yuletide season. The tree is just now up, the banisters festooned, the gifts (in the process of being) wrapped, the grounds illuminated all twinkly-like. Enough now about your humble Non-Parader's estate--let's get right to the nostalgia, shall we? Of course, it's a Newsday TV Book, and I'm spotlighting 1974. As I've mentioned in a previous post, I like this year because it's forty-five years ago (which is a nice, neat number for someone as impolitely anal as myself), and because the days correspond with 2019's (that is, in both cases the Monday before the holiday is the 25th).

Anne Bancroft lounges on the cover, awaiting her husband and seven other fellas.
(Click on the pics to fatten 'em up, turkey!)

Was Tommy Smothers ever a ghost? Why don't we see more of the Baldwin sisters? Did Olga Worrall cure Tom Snyder of being an insufferable prick? The answers, more or less, in this week's TV Line.

Here's that cover story about Anne and her various 'hoods.
Judging by the occasional request, it seems people enjoy seeing the Sunday morning listings. Brings back memories, I guess. I preferred to sleep, until I was of the age to be rudely awakened and dragged to church. Either way, I was left in the dark on matters such as the hijinks of "gourmet scavenger" Andre Dalrymple and whatever Maryknoll World was.
I'm not even sure why I enjoy this ad so much. I just imagine the carpeting being installed on Wednesday, and then the next day some idiot family member spilling hot turkey grease on it. (That would have been me, btw.)
I present the late Monday listings, mainly for the Viskupic Bigfoot drawing.
Long Island's WSNL (channel 67 out of Patchogue) has come up a number of times on this blog. This is just because of the TV Book references, as I have no recollection of the station in this incarnation. The fact that their big holiday movie is a bizarre Russian dubbed-into-English fairy tale says a lot about WSNL's subpar fare, however highly the Venetians thought of it.
And now the big day! Counter-programming Mad Monster Party against the King, are you fucking kidding me?!?
And then March of the Wooden Soldiers a half-hour into that?!? Why don't you local station schedulers just call my house and convince mom to serve dinner at two this year so I'll miss everything? Bastards!
Remember kids--there were NO DVR's back then! Who am I kidding, none of this is the least bit interesting to anyone under 40...
The Thing, Oklahoma! and Going My Way, simultaneously. More evidence that, back in the day, every household must have had at least three televisions on at all times... but we didn't, I swear!
Now a look at the specials of the week, with Saturday's movies and some sports.
Everybody loves old advertising Santas, so let's blow this sucker up!
Stay tuned, nostophiles, I'll have even more sensational seasonal succor!
(Whudju call me?)
Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home