Monday, November 18, 2019

Newsday TV Book, November 17-23, 1974.

There's plenty o' vintage TV holiday goodness arriving imminently, and since I've got much scanning and editing to do in the upcoming weeks, I'm only going to post a few pics from this issue.
The cover features Michael York and Margaret Leighton in an adaptation of "Great Expectations," with a photo that I'm sure your five-year-old Non-Parader was delighted to have floating around the TV den all week. Yikes!
 The TV Line lets us know that Robert Redford likes turquoise, Shelley Winters' stunts went swimmingly (while her cruise-mates took a beating), Rhoda caught the subway at Lex, and the gals of Hooterville were not frolicking in the town's water tank, despite Mr. Haney's frequent contentions that he detected notes of Jean Naté coming from his tap.
 Gary Viskupic has a couple of illustrations this week, first on Monday for Hollywood TV Theatre on WNET...
...and then for a health series on Wednesday, also on PBS.
(If Cos offers Helen a "protein shake," I'd advise her against partaking.)
Here's Saturday's late-night sched, with an unusually charitable John Cashman review for The Tingler (on WPIX at 11:30). But check out his take on Bodyguard--they didn't call him "The Spoiler" for nothing!
Minnesota Fats fits more neatly into a billiard ball rack than I'd have suspected.
Finally, here's an ad for Westbury's Hicks Nurseries on Jericho Turnpike. I'm sure I've posted this very ad on the blog before, but since a yearly Yuletide visit was a must during my childhood, as far as I'm concerned it can't be reproduced enough.
Don't forget to check out the DPiMR Facebook page, the Instagram account, and my "Hugo Faces" YouTube channel of old video nonsense. It's the most wonderful time of the year for wasting time, and these are the places to do it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home