Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Thames on 9, September 6-10, 1976.

In September 1976, as the revelry of the Bicentennial summer began to wane, New York City television viewers were treated to an unusual video experiment undertaken by WOR (Secaucus, New Jersey's channel 9), in collaboration with our neighbors across the pond. Beginning with Labor Day, each weekday's schedule (from early evening until sign-off) was filled with programs produced by London's Thames Television, who paid for the airtime. Since there's little online about this happening--there's a meager commemorative website that was created fifteen years ago, but it evidently died of neglect--I've scanned the listings from the New York Metropolitan edition of TV Guide for that week to show what was aired. Although I began with that Monday evening, I decided to include the rest of the daily listings to offer more perspective on the era, along with most of the advertisements (unless they were visually and thematically uninteresting, like the text-only ad for Beltone hearing aids). NOTE: This is a work in progress, I'll get back to the remaining days soon...

First, here's "The Screening Room," TVG's regular column covering notable network programs of the week, with a mention of the event.

Indeed, the Close-up has details of the Britannia broadcasts, if not a full schedule.
Here are the pages that kick off the occasion. There was a Mets game from Wrigley Field shown earlier that afternoon, so I can't say whether the two programs preceding the Thames takeover (a look at the '69 Mets and, as seen here, "NFL Action") were seen in their entirety. Worth noting: I've read that this night's 9pm airing of The Benny Hill Show was the first time it was ever broadcast in America. I believe it was the first of the Thames shows to return to the regular WOR schedule, but don't quote me on that.
A Pat McCormick pilot and a Dick Van Dyke special were among other offerings that night.
This Medical Center plot caused a TV Guide columnist to complain that transgender-centric storylines on television were becoming cliche!
Notable (says I): Not For Women Only's topic, WABC's 10am movie...
It goes without saying that this WPIX ad is awesome, but I also love channel 13 running The 400 Blows against Tattletales and Hazel. That's called "counter-programming."
According to this artist, John Hurt in drag = Helen Mirren. Also, enjoy the many faces of Music.
Two things you should see: Richard Pryor and Lou Gossett Jr. on The Partridge Family, and a despondent Gomer.
I almost certainly watched the Saturday morning preview show, but a few years later I'd have chosen The Goodies instead.

Ian Holm as both Frankenstein and his monster--I'd guess that's worth the price of admission right there...












That's it! Sorry for the varying quality of the scans. I may still add some comments when I have more time, but there are other pointless nostalgia projects I want to get to. Until next time... Cheerio, guvnah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home