Friday, January 27, 2006

Some L. Ron Hubbub (or, Don't Believe the Hype!)

Just thought I'd note that L. Ron Hubbard died twenty years ago this week (but of course his Thetan continues to operate). Just in case you're not acquainted with this appalling fraud, read his Wikipedia entry here, and here's more from them about his patented crackpottery.

Wikipedia also has a list of practicing Scientologists, and the Notable Names Database has one also. Take a look...
Some deep thinkers on those lists, eh? No Chomsky or Hawking, but hey, having Swayze, Dwayne Wayne, the chick from JAG and Bronson Pinchot's voice coach on your rolls certainly adds cachet.

I have no specific beef with Scientology, just a general dislike of blatant bullshit. If you feel the same way and haven't been to James Randi's JREF site, do yourself a favor. Here's his weekly commentary archive. Also to that end, the February Harper's has a terrific article called "God or Gorilla" about the Dover Area School District's "intelligent design" trial, written by a great-great-grandson of Charles Darwin. Good stuff.

Bizarre note: I just noticed that my Internet connection tonight is through "Hubbard, Oregon." I have never seen that listed as my location before, and indeed have never even heard of this city. Coincidence? Yeah, right! Wake up down there! (Click link, fourth paragraph.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian Kunath said...

Yeah, I saw that list before and was sad to see that Beck is a member. Guess he wasn't kidding about that loser thing.

I remember a great Spy Magazine article on Scientology. I found it through a Google search...and it wasn't as well written as I had remembered. Sigh.

Brian
Hubbard, New York

Ohh, my word verification is "Travolta." Creepy.

Sat Jan 28, 12:11:00 AM 2006  
Blogger MO'SH said...

I tried going to a few Scientology gatherings, but my est seminars always seemed to scheduled at the same time...

It's time for me to admit that I just believe in me.

Yoko and me.

Sat Jan 28, 01:53:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Lucy Starcrest said...

Kinda sad that, as George Bush has done for evangelical Christians, my feelings toward Scientologists have been shaped by Tom "I have no medical training and couldn't possibly understand post-partum depression but I'm hoping that due to my starpower no one will question me" Cruise. I hate them all now!

And I guess that explains why Beck has become such a goddamned bore despite early promise.

Sat Jan 28, 11:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger the feeb said...

read burroughs book on scientology. says it all.

Sun Jan 29, 08:02:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home