Sunday, December 04, 2022

Newsday TV book, December 3-9, 1978.

I'm trying to crank these suckers out because I've got a bunch of these December TV Books I want to get to, so without further ado, Joan Hackett as Christine Mannon in Eugene O'Neill's Mourning Becomes Electra, a five-hour miniseries produced by WNET 13.

The article that goes with it seemed like it would be a real drag, but then I noticed it was written by reviewer John Cashman! I have a whole other blog devoted to his writing, so you might think I'd have spotted this in the, oh, fifteen or twenty years I've had this issue...
Some interesting tidbits in the TV Line, but my favorite takeaway is that, apparently, Wonderama host Bob McAllister bailed on the spin-off Kids Are People Too because the audience was too mature for his taste. Hmm.
We learn in the Off Camera column that Polly Holliday did not, in fact, play Flo the wise-cracking waitress--it was the wig the whole time!
I'm posting this bit of Sunday's schedule just for the close-up on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, which will be followed shortly by a full-page WNET ad, unusual in my collection.
Some Trivia for ya... I only got #2.
More of Sunday's programming, but I like this page mostly for the Visible Changes and Apple Annie's ads.
Here's that WNET ad.
Now late Sunday, for the Monty Python and the Holy Grail airing. I think I saw it when it first aired on NYC public TV, when I was about six or seven years old (!), and I considered myself a fan from then on.
Lighting the tree in Rockefeller Center was once a local affair, on WNBC before prime-time. Channel 8 out of Connecticut counter-programmed A Cosmic Christmas, a Nelvana production that I long ago found the VHS of, transferred to disc, and to this day have never watched.
Here's Tuesday evening, which it appears I neglected to straighten, oh well.
To Ammis Haircutters, congrats on the grand opening, and a Baba Booey to y'all!
Wednesday night, along with an ad for Michele's of Huntington, who was offering a "King Bagel Hero" (also, coincidentally, my username on JDate).
Late Wednesday, with an ad for an NBC Dick Clark special that sounds like something alright, plus the Crosby family minus patriarch Der Bingle.
Friday night, and a completely different (and, for all the big guest stars, inferior) Sesame Street Christmas special.
Please enjoy all day Saturday (yay!), beginning, as did last week, with a note that WLIW 21, my favorite PBS station, is off the air for transmitter relocation (boo!). There's a Gary Viskupic illustration for a Big Band Bash, in there too.
I always enjoy looking at the local Long Island cable specials and wondering about them. Why do I have a feeling that this week's episode of Suffolk Cable's On Being a Woman, titled "Psycho Drama," was hosted and paneled entirely by men?
Nothing else especially interests me at the back of this TV Book, so here's a kinda-neat Christmas/New Year's Eve ad for "The Great Train Party" at The Dining Car 1890 in East Setauket!
See you soon, I bet!

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Hansen said...

Quite ironic timing with those Sesame Street Christmas Special ads on the same day as Bob McGrath's passing.

Mon Dec 05, 05:53:00 AM 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home