Saturday, October 02, 2021

Newsday TV Book, October 7-13, 1979.

I had been writing about the 1979 Newsday TV Books for a while there, but then I let it drop. I thought I had gotten to the October issue I have, with Buck Rogers and Twiki on the cover, but recently discovered that I hadn't. I'd scanned the cover a long time ago, so maybe that's why I figured I must have taken a look at the whole thing at some point. Anyway, it's done now.
In advance: you're welcome.
(Click pics to, you know, see them.)

Was Twiki a useful robot? He musta been, like, super-duper-smart, right? Because personally, I'd prefer to employ an automaton that could, at the very least, reach a high shelf for me.

The cover story, as related by Bill Kaufman, tells of Gil Gerard being a hack, and Emma Peel's influence on Erin Gray.
Overall, the subjects covered in the TV Line this week are not especially interesting to me, but one thing really stood out: This "Aristophones" fella sure could talk a buncha bullshit!
Some classy dames, a few Little Rascals, and Leonard Nimoy (searching for horror in Amityville) turn up Off Camera.
There was something that caught my eye on various pages of the Sunday listings, starting with this early-morning note about the Pope screwing with your regular programming.
The next page has an ad for the North Shore Animal League, which was a prolific advertiser in Newsday. They typically offered a pet adoption incentive of some type (such as baseball tickets, or fast-food coupons, or even reimbursement for however much gas you used to get there). This one promises nothing more than unshuttered filling stations nearby!
Maybe they could have mentioned that, with a new furry baby in the home, you'll get what the ad above offers: In just hours, you'll have hair... all over your furniture.
Here's a rather rare network ad for "Vampire," the ABC Sunday Night Movie. The Newsday reviewer (John Cashman, I presume) discounted this one for horror buffs as "mostly talk and no gore."
Here's the late-night sched, if only for "David Susskind Meets the Martians," and the punishing thought of enduring a Carry On double feature until the sun rises.
The kid in this dental ad is one of several miserable-looking cartoons in this issue.
Columbus Day parades took up much of the afternoon on several channels Monday, and please note that Empire of the Ants was on the WABC 4:30 Movie, because that's awesome.
Solar energy is NOW! (Meaning forty-two years ago.)
Another unhappy cartoon.
According to the Reborn Maternity ad's peculiar asterisk, Carol Horn designed a pregnancy outfit "for great times." I can't even begin to guess what that means. Also, Peter Lorre plays a fat clown.
(Now that, I get.)
Here's a coupla pages with Trivia for ya.
I've put a number of Hicks Nurseries' older Halloween ads online, but here is the one for that year's "Otto and the Cider Mill" display. (I've left in the other ads on the page this time to demonstrate exactly why I omit so many of them: Dullsville!)
Skipping to Saturday night now, including an ad to remind us that, in a better, long-ago world, Star Wars and superhero costumes were strictly for children.
For my stoner pals (and me), the late night Saturday schedule. And of course, the two shows that would have most appealed to me, SCTV and Theatre of Death, are on at the same damn time!
Specials and Cable TV Highlights.
Say what you will about Columbus, the man had some dynamite legs.
Finally, one last portrait of suffering, possibly related to orgasmic difficulties.
"We are experiencing orgasmic difficulties. Please stand by..."

1 Comments:

Blogger The O'Shaughnessys said...

What's so spooky about a ghost sipping cider on a hay bale? Also, is Columbus pole dancing? Seems like something that would've gone on on the Pinta -- but the Santa Maria?

Wed Oct 06, 10:27:00 AM 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home