Friday, May 21, 2021

Newsday TV Book, May 22-28, 1977.

I've had this issue for ages now, like twenty years give or take, and it just occurred to me recently that it is from the very week Star Wars was released (on Wednesday, 5/25/77). I doubt I saw SW immediately--in fact, I'm not even sure it came out on the Island, as I've read it only hit 30-something screens that day--but it wouldn't be long before it dominated my thoughts. (And toys and sheets and curtains and every other damn thing you could slap a Wookiee on.)

Anyway, just as everyone was meeting Leia of Alderaan, Lee Grant was meeting Grace of Monaco.
(Click pics to blow them u---Oh, sorry, Princess Leia.)

The TV Line features a question about Foster Brooks that definitely sounds like it came from a Long Islander. So, Fosta Brooks hadda cast on, 'ebustisleggawhat?
Kinda cool that as the Lucas Era dawned, Metropolis was flickering on your domicile's picture tube.
Let's take a look at Monday morning and afternoon, always interesting to see in general, but these listings also deliver one of my favorites on the WABC 4:30 Movie: Bad Ronald!
Here are the Tuesday afternoon/evening listings, accompanied by the first of several Viskupic illustrations in this issue.
On Wednesday, Viskupic depicts a bubble-headed Nixon.
Viskupic lends a chilling sketch to Thursday's ABC Special Report on rape.
Star Wars opened in more theaters for the weekend, so here are the Friday night/Saturday programs you were planning a trip to the movies around.
Finally, here's the Quick Guide, with all the movies, sports and specials for the week.
Not so many ads this time out, they just didn't hit the nostalgia spot for me. However, if you feel you can't go on without seeing the hair transplant ad with spokesman Chico Resch, let me know. (It's not the "before and after" version, so I skipped it.)

Smell ya later, Darth Vader!

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Hansen said...

You'll be pleased to know that Newsday (Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk editions) have been added to newspapers.com.

Mon Jun 07, 06:02:00 PM 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home