Saturday, October 03, 2020

Newsday TV Book, September 29-October 5, 1974.

At last we've arrived at the end of September 1974. That month saw my entrance into kindergarten, which did not go well initially, with petulant sobbing and apron-string clutching (not literally but you get my drift). By the end of the first day, however, I was fine with the situation, mostly thanks to the classroom Lite Brite, the commercial for which always left me covetous. I don't even remember playing with it, but at some point I saw it in the room and thought, okay, this place can't be all bad.

(This month? Like in 2020? Doesn't seem to have a Lite Brite in it.)

The cover features Peppery Angie Dickinson, and hard-of-hearing Leo Seligsohn discusses Burt Bacharach and reviews with her.
(Do I need to tell you that you can click on the photos to make them more legible? I probably don't need to add that anymore, but JIC you're even more of an internet greenhorn than I am...)

In the TV Line, Carol Burton explains televised sports blackouts, and also tells us about Portland's Hudson Brothers (and their co-star Stephanie Edwards), lyrical Bob McAllister, and the exorbitant price of network movie one-shots.
This Monday night schedule is nothing special, really. I just liked the premise of the hair replacement ad: that a bald fella is unlikely to form a relationship close enough for the other party to ever notice he's wearing a rug.
An interesting Gary Viskupic drawing accompanies a close-up on an ABC production that aired on only a handful of metropolitan stations. Episodes of Rainbow Sundae included a magazine-format series called "Over 7," which this night featured clown of renown Emmett Kelly Jr., and Viskupic tweaks his bulbous nose with the WABC logo.
Viskupic melds McQueen and Mustang for a Friday night broadcast of Bullitt, and Shatner terrorizes Kodiak. The late listings follow, just for fun.
Here's another full Saturday for ya.
Finally, the back cover introduces us to a merry meat-munching mother and her equally carnivorous daughter. Beef brightens any day (and certainly this mostly monochromatic ad)!

For my next project, I'm going to cull some Cashman nuggets from these September issues for the movie review blog, but when I returns to the TV Books, expect to see Bing and Bob on the next issue's cover, bum bum bum...

2 Comments:

Blogger Randy Hansen said...

The announcer in that Lite Brite commercial was the late Larry Blyden, host of "What's My Line?".

Fri Oct 16, 06:35:00 AM 2020  
Blogger Islandersb said...

I was told many years ago that the voice over on the Lite Brite TV commercial was Mason Adams not Larry Blyden.

Sun Sep 17, 02:52:00 AM 2023  

Post a Comment

<< Home