Saturday, December 16, 2006

Further Evidence of Christmases Past.

(Note: Most of these pics are of family photos that are perfectly clear and sharp, but which I've doctored to look like grainy, murky home movies, just because I prefer them that way...)
Dad and brother Jim play basketball as the Hot Wheels Rod Runner race set goes briefly ignored...
In the background by the closet, you can also see the Fisher-Price Play Family Action Garage--Oh boy, that's mine!

Desperately trying to hang in there...
The budding writer receives his first typewriter, your basic Tom Thumb model. (That's brother Dave doing his Chico Resch impression.) Ah, to own such a fine pair of slacks again...
Here's a really bad scan of Mom and me... See that red and white thing to the right, in front of the curtain? That's a Santa pencil holder I made. I was a crafty boy! (Of course, in first grade you have no choice...)
My family's '79 Christmas pic to brother Charlie, who had months earlier disappeared himself off to Seattle (I suspect to begin a new life sans the nickname "Chip").

I still can't believe we had this cheesy fake fireplace in our downstairs den. It's where I hung my stocking, which got filled for St. Nicolas' Day, December 6th, not Christmas. The only thing I can remember getting for St. Nick's Day is a Spiderman toothbrush holder.
Cool. The best thing about the fireplace pic for me is seeing some familiar artifacts of my childhood--a bowling trophy, the gold chalice candleholder, and that wooden bull...

1972, or possibly 1971. (My family was sporadic in labelling photos.) Ka, Artie, Ma, me, Jim, Dave.

The folks, same Christmas.

6 Comments:

Blogger MO'SH said...

Those slacks are definitely something else! Great Halloween costume for '07: we go as ourselves in '77!

Sat Dec 16, 12:45:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Morsel said...

I could have done it, too, if Tom hadn't made me throw those clothes out. Damn...I knew I'd need them again!

Wed Dec 20, 09:48:00 AM 2006  
Blogger JGerardi said...

1) Regarding your toy post below, I gues inflation isn't too out of control. Darth Vader's Tie Fighter goes for $29.99 nowadays, only triple its 26 year old counterpart.

2) I had Stretch Armstrong as well as his green scaley enemy (cannot remember his name sure you can though). Worst thing about stretch was that he would inevitably develop a leak destroying him and whatever unfortunate toys were left near him with his eerie rasberry colored internal sticky goo.

3) Yes you were tough on your toys (you, me, and we for that matter were tough on toys).

4) That kid on the Fisher Price garage box looks like me as a kid.

JG

Wed Dec 20, 03:20:00 PM 2006  
Blogger psaur said...

Stretch Monster

Thu Dec 21, 11:16:00 AM 2006  
Blogger JGerardi said...

Congrats, you now have the SECOND stupidest website on the internet.

JK
JG

Thu Dec 21, 12:58:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Cromely said...

Great shots. I had the Parking Garage as well. It seems like it would such a boring toy, but it was very cool. I guess growing up in NYC you really appreciate good parking.

I remember the ramp from the middle level had a nice steep bank on it.

We used to race matchbox cars from the upper level ramp. Push it down the ramp and see whose car got more distance once it hit the living room carpet.

Good times.

Fri Feb 16, 07:44:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home