Monday, July 09, 2018

New York Daily Metro, 1978 (Part 1).

I have a collection of New York City Metro newspapers. It was a short-lived newspaper overseen by Rupert Murdoch, launched in August of 1978, when the three major NYC dailies ceased operations due to the Pressman's Union strike. The paper only lasted for 38 editions, and I have copies of the first ten. I know there were other strike newspapers at the time, but I believe the NYCM was the largest in scope. As such, I assume many of the locals ads are rarer than usual, so I'll be concentrating on those.

Although the paper's run began with Monday, August 21st, I picked up the Friday edition first in order to check the movie openings. Before getting to that, a Gimbel's ad caught my eye:

Gadzooks--who the hell stuck around an extra hour for some lousy puppet show? Wouldn'ta been me! I actually did see The Hulk in person once, but I think it was at Toys R Us. The costume was like a plastic shell flocked with green fuzz, swimming around the stock boy who came closest to filling the inflexible thing. I'm reminded of it when I tear the stiff, matted grass clippings from under the riding mower.

Stay tuned for more!

2 Comments:

Blogger Design Guy said...

Love this blog! I produce the podcast, TV TERROR, which you can find at tvterrorshow(dot)com. As a Long Island kid growing up in the 1970s and 80s, I love the Newsday TV Guides here and have been known to post some of the images found at your site at the Facebook group that supports my show. Please make this blog last forever, thanks!
Anthony, TV TERROR podcast.

Sun Jul 22, 10:51:00 AM 2018  
Blogger psaur said...

Thanks Design Guy! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, Blogger is pretty sporadic with my notifications. I'll check out your endeavors presently!

Sun Aug 05, 12:51:00 PM 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home