Sunday, April 15, 2012

Newsday TV Book, April 16-22, 1972.

[UPDATED April 2022! Added and enlarged pics! Extra unwanted wise-ass commentary!]

The second 1972 Newsday TV Book in my collection (and in fact only the second produced, after last week's debut edition) features Mary Tyler Moore on the cover, looking as if she is perhaps just a bit allergic to marigolds.

Linda Lamel weighs in with Bill Kaufman, about the LI feminist's perspective on Mary Richards.

This week's TV Line addresses such topics as Jeannie's bottle, a touching toast from Me and the Chimp, and the possibility of a Desi-Patty-Liza threesome.

NEW! Here's an interesting Sunday morning schedule, with a notation that if the Apollo 16 mission was successful, it might really screw up your usual viewing for a while. (It was, and it did.)


NEW! Now here's Monday morning and afternoon.
I know there are plenty of stores that sell yarn nowadays, but in the 70's we had yarn stores. Just yarn. Locally, we had a place that not only sold yarn but also offered knitted garments for pets. It was called "That Yarn Cat."

(Yes, I totally made that up.)

The only thing I know of Paul and Mary Ritts and their menagerie of puppety oddballs is they were responsible (so I've read) for the Better Business Bureau ads with The Abominable Snowman that I saw 8000 times as a kid. Watch Your Kid, however, is completely unknown to me, but you can believe I'm currently trying to track me down some Jim Backus story time segments.

Next to an ad for the Green Acres Shopping Center in Valley Stream (with another to follow), Cutler's lighting factory offers a bathroom fixture called the "Toilette Gombare," a phrase which I have determined, through woefully insufficient internet searching, means "cleaning and grooming yourself with the assistance of a Turkish friend or relative."

NEW! Here's late Wednesday night, because... well, why not? (I swear I could scan every page in this damn TV Book and point out something I find interesting.) And since this is Wednesday, by the time Ace Trucking Company appeared on Johnny, I bet I would have been in bed, having nightmares about Night Gallery Nazis in a castle, tossing and turning with a turbulent bellyful of Recknagel's stuffed flounder! Oofah, I think it was low tide in the bay!

NEW! Thursday afternoon and evening, mainly for the Plainview ad (Guy and David International Piano Center) and Viskupic drawing (for a program about Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley that pre-empted Me and My Three Chimp Sons).

Saturday night viewing, 1972 style. I wonder, did anyone miss church the next morning
because they needed their Charlie Chan fix?


Some random ads and so fawth...

Suburban Dream:
Plastic-covered furniture!

Suburban Nightmare: The unkempt toupee!

Check out the kiddie shows, preview next Sunday's programs, and buy confidence all on one page!

Suburban Nightmare II: Them goddamn termites!

And on the back cover, indulge yourself with a "Man-size Easy Chair!" Spacious and gracious!

I'm hooked on this feeling--look for more upgraded "vintage" posts to come!

2 Comments:

Blogger The O'Shaughnessys said...

If L.G. of Baldwin really wanted to see a picture of Marlo Thomas why didn't she Google it?

Mon Apr 16, 11:58:00 AM 2012  
Blogger psaur said...

Because they only had Web Crawler back then and it sucked.

Thu Apr 19, 10:46:00 AM 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home