Thursday, April 05, 2012

Newsday TV Book, April 9-15, 1972.

[April 2022 Update: As this week marks the 50th (!!!) anniversary of the Newsday TV Book's inception, I've added some more page scans to this ten-year-old post, and enlarged/edited what was already here. Enjoy!]

Since I've been neglecting this blog so disgracefully, I've decided to at least try to do a weekly Newsday TV book posting. My collection of the books begins with this one, featuring Oscar nominee Jane Fonda on the somewhat tattered cover.


[August 2016 add: I recently noticed that this issue, unlike all the others I have, does not have an answer for the previous week's crossword puzzle, leading me to conclude (along with other research) that it is indeed the very first edition! That might also explain the condition--it's worse for wear because it's been the one sitting atop the TV Book pile in a Long Island garage for decades now. Well, it's resting snugly in plastic nowadays--plus I've added another copy to my collection!]


Here's the TV Line Q&A column, with inquiring LI minds asking about Pete Duel, Jane Withers and Sandy Duncan, and other entertainers whose names you haven't heard in thirty years or so. (Click on pic to see it larger. In fact, you may be able to click a second time to enlarge it again, whoopie!)

NEW! Here's the cover story (by Leo Seligsohn) about that week's Academy Awards, with one of the co-emcees, the easily-startled Alan King.

NEW! The very first Sunday morning schedule, with a close-up on WCBS' local kiddie show The Patchwork Family, starring Carol Corbett. Rags and Toots, together at last!

NEW! The late Sunday night listings, with a number of astutely acerbic reviews by the ever-sagacious John Cashman.

NEW! Here's all of Monday, including the Oscar ballot. How many of that year's nominated movies have you seen? Is it just me or is it rather strange to see the smoker's toothpaste up for Best Actor?

NEW! Tuesday afternoon brought that season's Mets opener.


Just to see what 70's stoners were watching late that Friday...

NEW! The full Saturday schedule, including the first appearance by a Gary Viskupic illustration (for The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari on channel 13).


Now for some random ads and stuff...

Suburban Dream
: Automatic irrigation!

Obscure Long Island Advertising Character:
The Color King!

Ads for Businesses in my Hometown, Plainview:
P.C. Richard & Son, where I bought my first piece-of-crap shelf system stereo!

Lobel's for Communion! I myself was once... uh, communioned, but I don't recall the bicep bow tie. Or being required to say "Charge it." Betcha anything I had Buster Browns, though.

Look Everybody, it's...
Fred Gorman! He looks HAPI!

Another Suburban Dream: An affordable above-ground pool from Harrow's!

And finally, the sort-of-colorful back cover. I'm digging hard on these Haband shoes. You may laugh, but I assure you I can rock a polymeric monk strap, my friend.
That's all for now, but check out this recently-assembled, comprehensive list of links to all my other Newsday TV Book posts! Marvel at the plenitude! Fear for my sanity!

1 Comments:

Blogger The O'Shaughnessys said...

Sinatra looks a lot like Archie Bunker in that pic.

Mon Apr 09, 11:55:00 AM 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home