Monday, November 21, 2005

Thoughts on the Star Wars Holiday Special, 11/17/78

Here at last are my musings on the Star Wars Holiday Special. If you haven't seen it, I recommend immediately picking it up off eBay (I'm sure it's on DVD by now). Get it with the original commercials if possible, they're half the fun. This bizarre spectacle, like many of the cheesy variety specials of the seventies, was co-written by Bruce Vilanch. He has a real ear for Vaudevillean shtick, but not so much for the science-fiction stuff. I used to say I disliked this show, but I can't deny having watched it twenty or so times since I got it a few years back, and I can aver without reservation that it is far more entertaining than all the Star Wars films put together. If you haven't seen it... at some point while reading this you may think I am kidding. I am not. It is that peculiar.




Mark Hamill cameos as Luke Skywalker. I'm not familiar with the entire SW canon, so I have to ask: how did Luke end up with Marlo Thomas' nose?




Carrie Fisher as a strung-out Leia.

3 Comments:

Blogger MO'SH said...

Beyond fascinating! Your recap is a masterpiece of schlock itself!

Tue Nov 22, 12:20:00 AM 2005  
Blogger psaur said...

Thanks, but I won't be satisfied until you comment on every frigging individual post. I know you have it in you, you fucking opinionated bastard! You just called my wedding DVD the modern Ishtar! (Oh wait, you liked Ishtar.)

Tue Nov 22, 12:27:00 AM 2005  
Blogger MO'SH said...

Your wedding DVD was more like "Titticut Follies!"

But I will honor your request!

Tue Nov 22, 01:54:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home