Friday, November 04, 2005

50 more days!

I thought it was a little odd, my wife and I listening to Christmas music on November 3rd, but we were after all going Christmas shopping. (Odder still is that she's almost done with hers, and has been for a while.) I expected Christmas decorations when we got to the mall, but I was surprised to note that many of the stores were playing Christmas music, too. Then today she calls from work to say that she was flipping through stations on the way there and found that 106.7 has gone all-holiday music all the time. I didn't think that would happen for two or three weeks. I remember once when I was a kid, I started listening to my family's Reader's Digest box set of yuletide favorites around mid-October, and even I knew I was nuts.

So my point is that I am listening to christmas music now and it's real nice. Don't be surprised if you see lots of 70's Christmas images popping up here soon and continuing for two months (with a stop-off at Thanksgiving, of course)...

2 Comments:

Blogger MO'SH said...

What's really odd is you saying "my wife and I." I read that twice, then remembered that you were married. Hell, I was there. Just slightly more drunk than I am now.

Yeah, I put on K-Lite driving home from work and heard Dean Martin singing "Home for the Holidays." Then they went into an Aaron Neville song and I realized it was indeed too early for the holiday songs.

So I turned on Charlie FM or some shit like that...

And immediately recalled something Prof. Farnswoth from "Futurama" said: "We're doomed. Every year, we're doomed."

Sat Nov 05, 02:38:00 AM 2005  
Blogger psaur said...

Yeah, K-lite throws some real swirlers into the mix. Too much Josh Groban and Kenny G., WAY too much of the ultra-douchey Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Have you ever laid eyes on these groups? The "composers" of TSO look like every 80's metal bassist who got strategically placed by the dry-ice in their videos. MS look like The Folksmen with electric guitars.

But K-lite does get in a lot of the old sentimental tunes, Gene Autry and such. I wish you could request songs. "Silver Bells" is a favorite of mine (something about growing up near NYC), and Floyd Cramer's version is perfect. You never hear that one. (Well, I hear it, as it's on one of my many Christmas LP's...)

Sat Nov 05, 06:43:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home